Last Updated on August 6, 2023 by Ch David
The quickest way to spot a fake Yeezy 500 is to inspect the size tag and the box. Fake size tags have many inconsistencies in terms of font weight and distancing between the characters.
Wondering how to tell fake Yeezy 500?
We’re here to teach you just that in seven steps. By the end of the guide, you’ll know whether you have real or fake Yeezys.
How to tell if Yeezy 500 is real or fake
You can tell if Yeezy 500 is real or fake by checking the size tag inside the tongue. Fake pairs of 500s always have thicker inscriptions with less space between each character.
Although the size tag and the box label are the two main indicators of authenticity that you would find on the Yeezy 500, they are not the only indicators present on the sneakers.
Let’s check this out!
1. Barcode scan
When you are ready to scan the barcode of your Yeezy 500, we recommend that you use the Legit Check App.
Note that all Yeezy sneakers have a unique barcode that relates to a specific combination of colourway, style and size. Below we have attached an example for the Yeezy 500 Utility Black:
- Model – 500
- Colorway – UTIBLK
- Style – F36640
- Size – From 4 to 16 (US)
1.1. How to scan it
- Install the Legit Check App on your iOS/Android device.
- Open the app.
- Tap on the barcode scan icon.
- Focus on the barcode on the box of your Yeezy 500.
- Analyze the results.
You will need to look for matches that confirm the authenticity status of your Yeezys.
1.2. Authentic results
- If the results show lots of confirmation points on Google for your unique barcode as illustrated in the picture below, then you can be assured that your box is authentic.
- Please note that we say the box is authentic and not the sneakers because there is still the possibility that the real sneakers might have been swapped for the fake ones by the fake resellers to trick buyers into thinking the sneakers are genuine.
1.3. Fake results
- If the results do not show confirmation points that match the size-colorway combination, as shown in the picture above, then you probably have a fake in your hands.
- Please note that the barcode scanning can only be considered a perfect match when the size and colorway combination on the results match the one on the box.
- Thus, if only one of the two matches, then the box is still a fake.
For the full story on how to scan the barcode on the box or your Yeezy 500 for authenticity, read our article here.
2. Size tag
2.1. The “MADE IN CHINA” print
- The fake pair’s “MADE IN CHINA” text looks a lot thicker than the text on the authentic sneakers.
- In fact, the legit Yeezy 500 pairs have their “MADE IN CHINA” text looking thinner.
Also, keep in mind that it can be exactly the reverse on the replica sneakers, and that’s why we recommend you refer to our real vs fake Yeezy 500 images every time you legit check one of these pairs.
2.2. The “US UK FR JP CHN” text
- Inconsistent lines on the “N” from the “CHN” text show where the printer ink has pooled between the “N” lines which makes it look thicker and bolder.
- These inconsistent lines are a telltale sign that the sneaker is fake.
It’s all down to the quality of the print, and this does not occur on the real size tag.
2.3. The date print
- On the fake Yeezy 500 size tag, there is a lot more space between the month of production, the slash, and the year of production.
In this case, we have the authentic pairs produced in the second month of 2018, and the replica sneakers manufactured on the fifth month of 2019, and the replica Yeezys have more space between these elements than the authentic Yeezys.
2.4. The Copyright “®” character
- A very important spot to check is the “®” touching the “adidas” text.
- This is an instant callout for a fake pair of Yeezys.
- Besides, there is also a different spacing between the “adidas®” and the square above from the real vs fake Yeezy 500 pairs.
2.5. The APE/CLU/EVN Number Print
- Please note that CLU, APE or EVN inscriptions might be found here and you should not worry if you’ve got any of them.
- All three inscriptions can be found on an authentic or a fake pair, so we do not consider this area to be a reliable spot for identifying a fake Yeezy 500.
However, what you need to pay attention to is the quality of printing here. Look out for ink blotting, fuzzy lines and other signs of poor-quality of printing.
3. Box label
Now, it is important to understand that the Yeezy-Adidas collaboration releases its sneakers in two versions – the US version and the international version.
- The US version displays three-country sizes on the box label – US, UK and F.
- The international version features 6 countries (US, UK, F, D, J, and CHN) sizes and every one of them is in equal prints on the label.
As for the serial number:
- If the pair is a US release, then the serial number is going to end with a V02 or V03.
- But for international (Canadian/European) releases, the serial number will end with a V10.
- As seen in the image below, in the authentic international version featuring 6 sizes, the serial number ends with a V10.
- However, on the fake box label which is a US version, the serial number ends with a V10, as opposed to a V02 or V03.
Please note that if you notice any deviation from this pattern, then you are without a doubt looking at a fake Yeezy 500.
This lacing style follows a simple pattern:
- The left lace goes under the right lace in the left shoe.
- The right lace goes under the left lace in the right shoe.
If your lacing style does not correspond with this pattern when you first unbox your sneakers, then you certainly have a fake product in your hands.
However, it is important to understand that following the correct lacing pattern does not always mean the sneakers is authentic either.
- This is because the fake manufacturer can choose to lace their sneakers in the same style as the authentic pattern although it is a replica.
- Thus, we do not consider this to be a foolproof indicator of authenticity.
5. Toe box
- The toe box is significantly bulkier on the fake pair when compared to the slender toe box of the authentic pair.
- This difference can be attributed to the poor attention to detail from the fake manufacturers as well as the lower quality factory equipment used in the production of the sneakers.
6. Reflectiveness (3M)
- The counterfeit Yeezys have a much poorer reflectiveness on the 3M lines.
On the other hand, the authentic Yeezy 500 sneakers seem to have a more bright and more noticeable shining for the 3M reflective lines all around the Yeezys.
7. Rear shape
- The replica Yeezy 500 sneakers have a much fatter shape if you compare them to the retail Yeezys.
- Not only that but the replica Yeezys seem wider than the authentic pairs.
- The legit Yeezy 500 sneakers seem to be wider on the bottom and the top sides of the sneakers, and narrower in the middle of them.
Shortlist: How to know if Yeezy 500 is fake
- Scan the barcode of the Yeezy Boost 350 V2 Yeezreel using the Legit Check App.
- Check the Yeezy V2 Yeezreel size tag for inconsistencies in the printing quality.
- Inspect the serial numbers and sizes on the box label.
- Ensure the lacing style of the Yeezy V2 Yeezreel follows the correct style following the right lace under in the right shoe and the left leg under in the left shoe pattern.
- Ensure that the toe box is not unusually inflated.
- The opening on the real Yeezy 500 should not be too wide (toe box).
- Look at the glowing of the 3M reflective material on the shoes. most of the time, the fake Yeezy 500 pairs will have a poorer quality in the glowing all over the shoes.
There are situations, where you may be unable to go through each detailed step, explained above when you need to authenticate your Yeezy 500.
That is why we have compiled this quick 60 seconds solution to authenticating your sneakers.
Expert Yeezy 500 authentication
If you need help with the authentication of your Yeezy 500, we’ve got you covered.
All you have to do is send us good-quality pictures of your Yeezy 500 and we will get back to you with the results within 24 to 48 hours. The results will also come with a report on why we believe your sneakers are fake or authentic.
That brings us to the end of our real vs fake Yeezy 500 guide. We will continue to update this article as better and newer comparisons are put out.
Need our opinion on your item’s authenticity? It’s a service we provide.
Get a fully-detailed report for why you have a real or fake item. Takes less than 48 hours!
Alternatively, use our free resources: written guides and video tutorials.
Thank you for reading this,
Ch Daniel and Ch David