Obituaries and Death Notices in Lake County, OR (2023)

Mrs. A. Adams
Harrisburg, Jan. 10 – Mrs. George Jackson received word Tuesday that her mother had died at her home near Silver Lake the preceding day. She will be remembered by many local people as Mrs. A. [?]. Adams. She had been ailing for some time. Mrs. Jackson was unable to attend the funeral. F. G. Adams, Mrs. Jackson's brother left for Silver Lake Monday. [Source: The Eugene Guard (Eugene, OR) - Saturday, January 10, 1925]

Charles Alexander
Chas. Alexander, son-in-law of H. C. Wilson, at one time stock king of Warner, died at Ft. Bidwell on the 4th inst. [Thursday, October 11, 1900 - Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

Gregory Alves
Gregory James "Jimmy" Alves, 60, a prominent Lakeview rancher, died on December 9, 2002 from injuries sustained in a vehicle accident in Lakeview, Oregon. Jimmy was born in San Mateo, CA. on December 13, 1941, to Gregory James and Bernice Silva Alves. He spent the first 27 years of his life farming and ranching on the California Coast in Half Moon Bay. Jimmy married Sue Ellen Smith, of Hayward, CA. in Reno, NV. on July 13, 1963. In 1968, Jimmy and Sue and their two sons, Donald and Randy moved to Lakeview, OR. to establish their own family ranch. After five years, a son Rodney was born. Jimmy was a respected and well-loved rancher. He was a man who loved his family and friends, his horses and cattle, his dogs and his ranching way of life. The Alves' ranch was the spot for fellow ranchers to gather for team roping, friendship, barbecues, and good times. Jimmy and Sue have sponsored many series of roping over the years. They have hosted five annual link and loop competitions. Jimmy enjoyed competing in U.S. team roping events for many years. Besides roping, Jimmy loved a good game of Piedro with his sons and friends. Jimmy served as Lake County Jr. Rodeo president and Lake County round-up president in 1997. He served his community and fellow ranchers in many kind hearted ways. Jimmy's beloved grandchildren have wonderful memories of their "Papa Jimmy"...He taught them all to ride horses and rope. They loved it when they got to help gather cows, fix fences, or irrigate. They were his very best roping "partners." Jimmy lived a full and happy life and lived every day as he wanted. There are so many that have been honored to call him a friend. Jimmy is survived by his wife, Sue Alves of Lakeview; sons and daughter in-laws: Donald and Nicki Alves, Rod and Carley Alves of Lakeview, Randy and Denise Alves of Klamath Falls, grandchildren; Jason Alves of U.S.N. Fresno, CA., Josh Alves of Lakeview, Britney and Jared Alves of Klamath Falls and Tyler and Tanner of Fernlund of Lakeview. Mother Bernice Silva Alves of Half Moon Bay, CA., brothers; Tony Alves and wife Kathie of Alturas, CA. and Bobby Alves and wife Sue of Alfalfa, OR., and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews. Jimmy was preceded in death by his father, Gregory James Alves. Services will be held on December 13, 2002 at 10:00 a.m. at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Lakeview, OR. Interment will follow at Westside Cemetery in Lakeview. A celebration of life will be held at the Lake County Fairgrounds following the Cemetery Service. Ousley, Osterman, Huffstutter Funeral Chapel in charge of arrangements. [Source: Modoc County Record - Monday, December 2, 2002; Contributed by Brenda Wiesner]

Maggie Brummett
The death of Maggie, beloved wife of James A. Brummett, occurred at Crooked Creek, near Lakeview, August 24, 1900. Deceased was the daughter of David B. and Cora Dickinson, and was born at Yoncalla, Douglas county, Oregon, October 9, 1870. She was married to James A. Brummett on October 9, 1892, at Drain, this state. Mrs .Brummett is deeply and truly mourned by a loving husband and all who knew her. She was a true and devoted wife, a self-sacrificing and affectionate mother and a kind neighbor – qualities which make up a noble womanhood, and left her an unfading memory. Deceased leaves a husband and two small children, two brothers, three sisters and other relatives and friends to mourn her early death. The funeral occurred on August 25th, and was held from the Baptist Church in Lakeview. Many people followed the remains to the last resting place. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, August 30, 1900]

Robert Burns
A celebration of life potluck will be held today, June 4, for Robert James Burns of Christmas Valley, who died May 28 of a heart attack. The former Veneta and Springfield resident was 63. Burns was born Sept. 15, 1938, in Grand Rapids, Mich., to Robert and Virginia Chatman Burns. He served in the Navy in Korea. Burns worked as a logger for many years in La Pine. He also was a craftsman. He moved to Christmas Valley five years ago. He formerly belonged to the American Legion.
Survivors include his domestic partner, Lynda Grant; his mother of Springfield; four daughters, Brenda Frisby of Bend, Dani Workman of Lakeville, Minn., Michelle James of San Diego and Lostein Kirkpatrick of Elmira; a son, Robert of Vernal, Utah; a brother, Tom of Eugene; two sisters, Marsha Adney of Veneta and Linda Griffin of Tucson, Ariz.; and 14 grandchildren. Today's gathering will be from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Veneta Community Park, East Broadway Avenue. Private burial will be at Lane Memorial Gardens in Eugene. Central Pines Funeral Home in La Pine is in charge of arrangements. [Source: The Eugene Register-Guard (Eugene, OR) - Tuesday, June 4, 2002]

Alva Cartwright
Former Bend Man Dies After Accident In Mill
Albany, Ore., Oct. 11 – Alva Cartwright, 28, who was fatally injured Friday in a sawmill at Lakeview, was buried today at Harrisburg, Ore., where his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lee Cartwright, reside. Young Cartwright was working near a belt which broke and struck him on the head. He did Saturday. Surviving are the widow, parents, a brother, sister and three half-brothers. Cartwright was employed by the Brooks-Scanlon Lumber company at Bend from March, 1929, until a few months ago, when he went to Lakeview. He had worked in Bend at intervals prior to 1929. [Source: The Bend Bulletin (Bend, OR) – Tuesday, October 11, 1932]

Mahala Congleton
Pioneer Lady Dies
Mrs. Mahala Congleton, a pioneer lady of this valley, died Sunday, June 14, at the home of her son, George Lynch, a few miles up Bullard canyon from Lakeview. The deceased was ill but a short time, death being due to old age. She was 92 years, 8 months and 29 days old. Mrs. Congleton has been a resident of Lake County since 1879. She had married twice and leaves two sons, George Lynch, of this place and James Lynch of Florida, and a daughter, Mrs. L. F. Washburn of Willow Ranch to mourn her loss. The funeral services were held in Lakeview, Monday, June 15, from the M. E. Church, burial following in the I.O.O.F. cemetery. She lived a long and useful life, and the end was as peaceful as the close of a beautiful summer day. May she rest in peace. [Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, June 18, 1914]

Edward Coonse
Edward Coonse, who has been sick for several weeks with typhoid fever, died at his home near New Pine Creek last Monday evening. Deceased had been a resident of Goose Lake Valley for about twenty-five years, and of late has been following the occupation of rancher and freighter. Ed. Coonse was an honest, upright man, and was well liked by those who knew him. He leaves a wife, formerly Miss Thema Bowen, and five children, the eldest a son about sixteen years of age. Many people who knew Ed. Coonse in his lifetime will regret to learn of his death. The funeral was held at New Pine Creek yesterday at 10 o'clock a.m. and was largely attended. [Source: Lake County. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, October 25, 1900]
--- Edward Coonse, the announcement of whose death appeared in these columns last week, was born in Marion county, Oregon, November 28, 1855. He was a God-fearing man, and united with the Methodist Episcopal church at New Pine Creek, in June 1898. The funeral was held from the M. E. Church at New Pine Creek, Oct. 24th, and Rev. Richard Fysh delivered an impressive funeral sermon over the remains. [Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, November 1, 1900]

John De Garmo
Death, the grim destroyer, has claimed another old citizen of Lake county in the person of John De Garmo, and in this case it was doubtless a welcome visitor. The aged pioneer breathed his last early Monday morning, January 14th. Deceased had been on the down grade physically and financially for a long time, and it was only when he became a physical wreck, unable to care for himself, that he would allow his friends to assist him, or become a dependent of public charity. With the manly pride, supported by a splendid mind, he never forgot the heyday of his pecuniary well-doing, for John De Garmo was at one time the possessor of goodly fortune, and was a friend to those in distress. But his fortune slipped from his grasp, and when the lat call came he was a bankrupt. However, the obsequies last Tuesday did not reflect that fact, for deceased was given a burial befitting an old and respected citizen who had seen better days.
John De Garmo was born in New York state and was aged about 86 years. He was an early arrival on the Pacific Coast, and away back in the early sixties held the office of Assessor of Sacramento county. Previously he held many positions of trust, one of them being head of the commissary department of the people who built the Isthmus railroad. He was a man of splendid natural intellect and good education, and consequently was a good citizen. He was one of the first settlers of Warner Valley, this county. He braved the dangers of that locality a quarter of a century ago, fighting Indians to save his home and stock. In 1878 the Indians burned his home and barns and drove away his stock. He rebuilt and in 1879 he sold the place to Thomas Anderson, and that place now owned by Mrs. H. C. Rambo is one of the finest ranches in Warner.
Later he made an unlucky investment in the Salt Marsh which proved his financial undoing. At the time of his death he owned a small ranch, of little value, in Warner Valley, besides a few head of horses, and that is all that is left of a one-time goodly fortune. Since last May the unfortunate man's mind has gradually given way and he has been helpless. His nearest relative in this country, if we are correctly informed, is a niece, Mrs. Ada M. Turner of 2239 Dwightway, Berkley, Cal.
The remains of the aged citizen, who was well known for his honesty and integrity, were taken to the last resting place in I.O.O.F. cemetery last Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and was attended by several old friends who will always retain a kindly regard for the memory of John De Garmo.[Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, January 17, 1901]

Catherine Duncan
Died – At Paisley, Lake county, Oregon March 29th, Mrs. Catherine Duncan; aged 72 years. Mrs. Duncan was well known in this county, and was the mother of Mrs. John Stewart. [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, May 7, 1881]

Edwards [Infant]
Death of an Infant
Last Thursday, January 31st, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Smith Edwards, on the West Side, was made desolate by the death of their infant son, aged 1 moth and 3 days. The little one's lease of life was limited, but it has gone the way of all innocence, free from the sins and trials of the world, to a better home. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of a legion of friends in their hour of sorrow. The infant was laid to rest on Friday in Cottonwood cemetery. [Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, February 7, 1901]

George Freeman
Gone To his last Rest! -- George Freeman Passes Away at Ft. Bidwell
Loving Husband, Good Friend, King Neighbor and Honest Man Goes to Solve the Mysteries of After Death.
"George Freeman is dead!"
Such was the message that ticked off the wire from Ft. Bidwell at the Lakeview telegraph office last Sunday morning, and upon its announcement a feeling of sadness prevailed among the friends who knew him well and esteemed him highly.
With the death of George Freeman there passes from this life one of the noblest specimens of God's handiwork. The cold clay now resting in the tomb was once the tenement of a man devoted to his friends and to the cause of righteousness and everything noble in life.
Few knew him who hath never felt the friendship and hospitality his big heart held for mankind; few knew him who could not see something noble in true friendship and generosity as exemplified by George Freeman in his lifetime. Honesty and Friendship were two of the characteristic spirits of his life. Truly could he be pointed to as “one of the noblest works of God – an honest man.” Many are the friends and brothers who will drop a silent tear over the memory of a lost friend who has gone over the cliffs dividing life from eternity to unravel the mysteries of the great hereafter.
All that was mortal of the good man was laid away to eternal rest last Tuesday by his brother Odd Fellows of Ft. Bidwell, followed to the grave by a broken-hearted life companion and hundreds of sorrowing friends. The tearful eyes of the large procession bore testimony to the esteem in which deceased was held. The touching and impressive ceremony of the noble order of which he was a worthy member, as they lowered his cold clay and heaped the “clods of the valley” upon the coffin lid, moved all the witnesses to tears.
It is seldom that such sincere sorrow, such general grief, or so many expressions of high esteem are felt and heard as was the case in the death of George Freeman – kin and loving husband, progressive citizen and honest man.
George Freeman was a native of England, aged about 70 years. He came to America at the age of 18, and settled in Surprise valley, near the present village of Lake City, at an early day. About the year 1871 he arrived in Lake county, Oregon, and settled on a ranch in the Chewaucan valley, the same now known as the 70 Ranch, owned by Heryford Brothers of Lakeview. Soon thereafter he entered into partnership with T. W. Colvin (another old pioneer who survives him) in the stock business and ownership of ranches in this county. They two pioneers acquired the present townsite of Lakeview, and in 1882 he sold his interest here and returned to Surprise valley, where he has since resided with his wife on a fine ranch and in a beautiful home, near Ft. Bidwell. During his life-time, being a man of good business tact, he acquired a comfortable competency, which is left to his widow to assist her in her declining years. Children there were none of his married union, but a sorrowing wife lived to mourn for her beloved dead – to remember always, until Death, too, calls her home to join the companion gone before, the loving tenderness and noble traits of a heart that beat only for the good of his fellowman, and for her welfare.
--- --- --- ---
George Freeman was an active and worthy charter member of Lakeview Lodge, No. 63, I.O.O.F., and a member of Lakeview Encampment No. 18, I.O.O.F. On April 26, 1898, deceased attended the I.O.O.F. celebration in Lakeview, and was honored by his fellow members with the Presidency of the Day. At that time, during a meeting of the lodge, he was called upon for a few remarks, and, as he arose to comply, his eyes filled with tears. In looking about him, he said, he could notice that the old guard was fast passing away, and he could see but a few of his old brothers, the familiar faces of years gone by; that soon there would be none left, their places being taken by younger members, and that ere long he, too, would cross the dark river to meet his brothers. The Examiner joins with many friends in expressing deep sympathy and heartfelt condolence for the bereaved widow. George Freeman is dead, but his character and good deeds will live after him. Peace to his ashes. [Thursday, November 22, 1900 - Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

(Video) Find Obituaries

Gilbert Gaylord
Gilbert Gaylord, of Paisley, Oregon, took a dose of poison by mistake Saturday, and died within an hour afterwards. He mistook it for medicine. He was a prominent mining man of Paisley, and had lived in that section for years. [Source: Daily Capital Journal (Salem, OR) – Thursday, December 27, 1906]

Al Hadley
Crushed To Death – Mr. Al. Hadley, nephew of Mr. H. G. Hadley, a young man aged about 26 years, met his death in a frightful manner at Silver Lake, Lake Co., on the 24th ult. The deceased had repaired to the woods for a load of logs, and on his return had upset on a grade, catching him against a large tree by the roadside breaking his neck, and literally shaping his face to the bark and crevices of the tree, He leaves a wife and two children to mourn his sudden taking off. [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, December 13, 1879]

A son of J. R. Hammersly, of Lake county, committed suicide by taking strychnine, on August 20th. [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, September 2, 1882]

Trivial Cause for Suicide – The coroner's jury in the case of young Hammersly, who committed suicide in Lake county a few days since, found that he died from the effects of strychnine, administered by himself, not realizing the serious consequences that would follow. It seems that on the morning of his death, he and an older brother were at some haystacks on the farm, and deceased having some matches, the brother took them from him, fearing that he might accidentally set fire to the stacks. This incensed him greatly, and with other angry talk he threatened to poison himself. No one thought he'd do anything of the kind, and paid little attention to him. The boy went to a blacksmith shop on the place, where a bottle of strychnine was kept, and deliberately swallowed a portion of it. A doctor was summoned but arrived too late. [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, September 9, 1882]

Cora Hamersley
Death Claimed Her -- Miss Cora Hamersley Succumbs to the Ravages of Fever on January 30th.
A sad death occurred at New Pine Creek on Wednesday evening, January 30, 1901, the victim being Miss Cora Hamersley, a young woman well known and highly esteemed in this community. Deceased had been ill for several weeks prior to death, and, although the best of medical skill was employed in her case, it proved of no avail and she fell a victim to the ravages of fever.
Cora Hamersley was born in Iowa May 25, 1870, and was aged 30 years, 8 months and 25 days at the time of death. She was the eldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Soloman A. Hamersley, the father having preceded her to the Beyond by a few years. When a small child she came with her parents to the Pacific Coast from her birthplace in Iowa, and practically grew to womanhood in Lake county. She was a devout Christian and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She passed considerable of her life in Lakeview and hereabouts and was well respected. The funeral occurred at New Pine Creek on February 1st, and was largely attended by friends and neighbors. [Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, February 7, 1901]

Cora Agatha Hammersley
Deceased was born near Egypt, Mills county, Iowa, May 5, 1870, and came with her parents to Lake county, Oregon in July 1870, when she was only two months old, and resided in this county until death, which occurred January 30, 1901, at 10:30 o'clock p.m. she was aged 30 years, 8 months and 25 days. She leaves a sorrowing mother and four brothers – Ivan D., Omer R., Marion I., and Alfred A. Hammersly to mourn her loss in sorrow and tears. Deceased was always ready to lend a helping hand to all in distress and was ever loving daughter and sister, and a friend to all who knew her. Our loss is her gain, for she sleeps in Jesus, and was well prepared to answer God's call. May we meet her in Heaven. [Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, February 7, 1901]

Verda Harris
General sympathy goes out to the sorrowing parents, F. E. and Lillie E. Harris, upon the loss of their little daughter, Verda Electa. The little one was "called home" last Thursday, Dec. 6th, after an illness of two weeks with a complication of diseases. The little one was a particularly bright and lovable child. About the last thing she said before the Angel of Death came, was, "Mamma, let me see the picture." Her innocent child thoughts ventured toward earthly things even in the face of death. Verda was aged 2 years, 8 months and 2 days. The funeral was held from the Methodist Church in Lakeview last Friday and was largely attended by sympathizing friends of the family. Rev. C. H. Hollowman, of the Baptist Church, officiated. The singing by the Methodist Church choir was sweet and appropriate. Four little girls acted as pallbearers: Essie Cobb, Genie Snelling, Ottie Field and Lallie Brown.[Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, December 13, 1900]
Card of Thanks: Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Harris desire through the columns of The Examiner to return their sincere and heartfelt thanks to the people of Lakeview for their manifold kindness and acts of friendship during the illness and death of their little daughter Verda. The friendly hands extended to them during the dark hour of bereavement make their grief less hard to bear. [Thursday, December 13, 1900 - Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

Annie Hickman
A few days ago the San Francisco papers contained a sensational account of the death of Mrs. Annie Giddings from a criminal operation performed by one Dr. O'Donnell of San Francisco – Mrs. Annie Giddings was formerly Annie Hickman of Lakeview. Her father one conducted the Pioneer saloon here, and the family removed from Lakeview in 1891. She was married to Giddings six years ago and has a little son five years old. [Thursday, December 20, 1900 - Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

Thomas Hillis
Frightful Accident - Thomas Hillis Met Death In Sawmill Near Paisley
Both Legs Were Severed by a Saw – Remains Taken to Fort Rock For Interment
That which proved a most frightful accident occurred at the C. R. Pott's sawmill near Paisley last Thursday when Thomas H. Hillis, a young man about 23 years of age was seriously mangled by the saw causing injuries which resulted in his death about an hour after the accident. He was working at the carriage when he fell on the huge saw. Both legs were severed, diagonally, one at the knee joint and the other between the knee and thigh. He was given all care available but was unable to endure the terrible suffering. Coroner Wallace of this place was summoned and he with George Hankins made the trip to the mill. The young man had a homestead at Conley in the northern part of the count and the remains were taken to Fort Rock cemetery for burial. It is stated that he had no relatives west of the Rocky Mountain, but that two brothers of Columbus, Ohio are left to survive him.[Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, June 4, 1914]

Ed Hitchcock
Ed Hitchcock of Alturas, died of heart disease, recently, some place in California. [Thursday, September 20, 1900 - Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

William Holder
Died -- A notice has been received by mail from Silver Lake, Or., of the death of William Holder on December 31. He was born on August 11, 1854. Interment took place in the Paisley cemetery. [Source: The Daily Eugene Guard (Eugene, OR) - Saturday, January 7, 1911]

John Holland
Died at Silver Lake
John Holland, the man who came to Silver Lake form Shaniko broken out with smallpox last week, died at that place of the dread disease yesterday morning. Dr. Witham pronounced him a hopeless case when he first saw him. Mr. Holland came from Deadwood, North Dakota to look at some timber and was stricken down before he had seen any timber. He was an Odd Fellow, and his home lodge has been notified. [Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, May 7, 1903]

(Video) Funeral Legacy Obituaries for Death Notices

May Jones
Last Tuesday evening the sad news reached Lakeview of the death, in Warner valley, of Mrs. May Jones, wife of D. R. Jones, Jr., which occurred at 11 a.m. on the 18th instant, at the Jones ranch, at the lower end of the lake in North Warner. Deceased was ill but a few days and no anxiety was at first felt by her husband and other relatives until the fourth day, when he condition rapidly grew worse, and Harry Riggs was dispatched to Lakeview for a physician. Mr. Riggs arrived here at 10 o'clock Monday night and started back next morning before daylight in company with Dr. E. H. Smith, but before they arrived in Warner Mrs. Jones had passed away, and Riggs returned to procure a casket for the remains. It is understood that the funeral is to take place in Lakeview, probably to-day some time, but it is not known at what hour the remains will arrive.
May Schallock was a few years ago one of the handsomest women in Southern or Southeastern Oregon. Five years ago last September she became the wife of D. R. Jones, Jr., the wedding occurring in Klamath Falls, where the family reside. She was a most lovable woman, kind-hearted and sunny disposition – admired and esteemed by all who knew her. She was devoted to her husband and little baby girl. She leaves a father, mother, sister and brother at Klamath Falls and a loving husband, little daughter and numerous marriage relatives in this county to mourn her death. Mr. and Mrs. D. R. Jones, Sr., loved deceased as their own daughter. She accompanied her husband to Lakeview on Thanksgiving day, and was the jolliest of all the jolly family who sat down to Thanksgiving dinner at the Jones residence. She was the picture of health, and remarked that she was very happy. To-day she is food for the worms.
The parents of deceased at Klamath falls were notified by wire as soon as the news of the death was announced here. It is regrettable that The Examiner cannot announce at what hour the interment will take place, but, presumably, it will occur at 10 o'clock this morning.
Late: - The funeral has been announced for to-day, from the M. E. Church, at 2 p.m. [Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, December 20, 1900]

Lyda LaBrie
A Fatal Accident - Mrs. Lyda LaBrie of Silver Lake Killed in a Runaway.
Horses Become Unmanageable, Run Into a Fence, Threw Her Out Killing Her Instantly.
All Silver Lake mourns the sad death of Mrs. Lyda LaBrie, and all who knew her in life will heave a sigh of regret at her sudden taking off, just in the full bloom of young womanhood – when lifeheld many joys and comforts and seemed worth the living. Silve Lake mourns as one big family, and the sad fatality, which occurred on September 1st, has case a dark gloom over every household.
The facts are narrated as follows: Mrs. LaBrie had been visiting her mother in the valley, and was returning to her own home on the afternoon of September 1st, driving her own team, when she met a band of cattle, and, after passing safely through the drove, she took up her whip and struck one of the horses sharply. The team immediately started on the run, and soon got beyond her control. Close by were two men on horseback; James Sullivan and M. A. Woodie, who, noticing the woman's peril, started at breakneck speed to head the runaway team. They were too late, however. Mrs. LaBrie, realizing that she could not control the maddened animals, turned them from the highway into a fence. As the team dashed through the fence, the wheel struck a solid post with such force that the unfortunate woman was hurled from her seat through space, and, upon striking the ground upon her head, the spinal cord and neck bone was snapped asunder, and she was dead when picked up.
The accident occurred within a quarter of a mile of her home. No physician being at hand, kind friends tenderly cared for her and tried to bring her back to life, believing the poor woman was only stunned. But, when not sign of resuscitation became apparent, they lifted her from the ground and discovered that her neck was broken.
The body of the young wife was taken to the home of her almost distracted husband, and the scene of desolation and mourning was awful to contemplate. On Sunday, the 2d instant, the funeral was held, and in the silent procession that followed the remains to the last resting place were many friends and mourning relatives.
Deceased was formerly Miss Lyda Jones, the only child of Mr. and Mrs. P. W. Jones, of Silver Lake, Oregon. Four years ago she was joined in holy wedlock with Thomas J. LaBrie, a prominent sheepman, of Silver Lake, and the fond husband and parents are bowed down with an inconsolable grief. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, September 13, 1900]

Wood Larson
Wood Larson, native of Norway, died at Bodie, Cal., September 29th. Deceased leaves a wife and six children, one of whom is Mrs. H. E. Rinehart of Cedarville; also a sister, Mrs. J. C. Best of Lakeview. [Thursday, October 25, 1900 - Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

Lee Laws
Jacksonville Sentinel: On Saturday morning last three masked men suddenly appeared at the house of H. C. Laws, the murderer of the boy Calavan, in Lake county, and commenced shooting at his son, Lee Laws, who was prominently connected with the tragedy last winter. Lee was shot twice and instantly killed, and another shot, probably intended for him, took effect on his younger brother Joseph, whose hip was shattered by the ball. H. C. Laws was absent in this valley at the time, and was warned by telegraph not to return to Linkville, but he did so, and reached there in safety. His son was buried on Monday, but the father prudently absented himself from attendance at the funeral. Joseph is not expected to recover, and there is much apprehension in Lake county that trouble will ensue. This murder, we understand, was committed in Modoc county very near the state line, and of course will be nobody's business in particular.[Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, July 15, 1882]

Mrs. Thos. LeBrie
A report was circulated in Lakeview last Tuesday to the effect that Mrs. Thos. LeBrie of Silver Lake had met death in a runaway accident at Silver Lake one day last week. The rumor may be unfounded, and it is to be hoped that such is the case. [Thursday, September 6, 1900 - Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

B. F. Lewis
B. F. Lewis, a pioneer of Lake county, died at The Dalles, this state, on the 28th ult. From a stroke of apoplexy. Lewis was a well-known character in this county, and will be remembered as the driver of the Lakeview-Paisley stage about fifteen years ago. He had been in his usual health until stricken, and died almost instantly. Since 1893 he has resided in the Dalles, making his home with his daughter, Mrs. Jas. Moore. Another daughter, Mrs. C. A. Graces, of Prineville, also survive him. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, October 11, 1900]

Eva Lewis
Death has crossed the threshold of another home in Lakeview and selected as its victim the pet of the household and favorite among the people. The axiom that "Death loves a shining mark" is fully demonstrated in the taking away, never to return, of the young life of little Eva Leona Lewis, beloved child of Mr. and Mrs. E. V. Lewis of Lakeview. The child had been ill but a brief time with typhoid fever, which was followed by another disease that baffled the attending physician. Slowly the little one grew worse until Sunday morning, Oct. 21st, when death relieved her from all suffering.
Little Eva was born in Lakeview Aug. 21, 1893, ad was just seven years and two months old on the day of her death. She was a particularly bright child and bid fair to lead a useful life has she lived to reach the estate of womanhood. She was a general favorite and will be missed by friends and school companions, and there will be sad mourning over that vacant chair at home for long, long years to come.
The funeral was held from the M. E. Church Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock and was attended by a large number of the friends of the family, and the remains were followed to the last resting place by a goodly number of people. Rev. Richard Fysh officiated. Four little girls, schoolmates of the deceased child, Essie Cobb, Ottie Field, Gussie Snelling and Ella Jones were pallbearers. Beautiful flowers covered the grave.[Source: Lake County. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, October 25, 1900]

J.F. Lewis/Samuel J. Lewis
Disastrous Attempt At Lynching – H. C. Laws, who fatally wounded Frank Calavan in a shooting affray at Langoll's valley a short time ago, during which he was shot three times in the leg, two ofthe bullets making flesh wounds and the other striking the bone near the ankle, was arrested a few days ago in Alturas, Modoc county, California. Last Saturday night 10 or 12 masked men rode into Linkville, and entering Greenman's Hotel, where the prisoner was in the custody of Deputy Sheriff J. F. Lewis and Justice Wright, awaiting examination before the latter on Monday, and demanded him with the avowed intention of lynching him. When they entered the hall they were ordered to halt, and on refusing Lewis fired his revolver, wounding one of the parties slightly. The lynchers returned the fire, killing the Deputy Sheriff and wounding Justice Wright slightly, and then left without taking Laws. The excitement is incense and feeling in Langoll valley very strong against Laws. [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, March 18, 1882]

Obituary: In our last issue we gave an account of the killing of Samuel J. Lewis in Lake county while a mob was trying to lynch Laws. Mr. Lewis was a resident of this county for several years, and was regarded by all who knew him, as a generous hearted upright young man. His parents live on the Mohawk. The State Line Herald has the following concerning the victim of mob violence: "Samuel J. Lewis, who was mercilessly shot down at his post of duty, bravely defending his charge, at Linkville, on the 13th of March, 1882, was about 26 years of age. He has been a resident of this place about three years, coming from Eugene City, this State. A goodly portion of this time he has been engaged in business here in company with T. J. Hickman; and for the past two years has been constable of Lakeview precinct, always doing his duty promptly, bravely and thoroughly. He was always kind, companionable and industrious, genial, good natured and generous – not a single act of his every-day life interposing to mar or jar that confidence and esteem in which he was universally held. Cut down in the spring of his promising manhood, without a moment's warning, without a chance for his life, with no alternative but to stand and be shot to death by a violent mob of blood-thirsty human curs, he has been carried away from earth's frowning uncertainties, its sorrows and its strife to a world, let us hope, where merit and worth are truly rewarded, and where grief, and bickering, and discord are happily blended in one joyful chant of blessed contentment. Deceased leaves a brother and other relatives here and at Lake City, California, and parents in Lane county, this State, together with hosts of friends wherever he was known, to lament his untimely taking off. May his ashes rest in peace!" [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, April 1, 1882]

Elizabeth Lofton
A private letter to The Examiner from Montgomery Creek, Cal., announces the death at Palo Cedro, near Redding, Cal., of Mrs. Elizabeth Lofton, wife of T. N. Lofton, aged 66 years. Deceased was well known in Lakeview, Drews Valley and Sprague River, having resided for many years in this section. Death came to the aged woman on the 13th inst. And was caused from an abcess [sic] of the liver. Deceased leaves a husband and two sons W. S. and Thomas Lofton. The interment took place at Milville on the 14th inst. [Thursday, November 22, 1900 - Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

C. L. Maxwell
A dispatch from Oakland, Cal., under date of September 8th announces the death, at that place on the date named, of C. L. Maxwell, of Lakeview. Deceased was one of the best known merchants in Oakland. He had been ill for several months, though for the past month his physicians had given up all hope of his recovery. Mr. Maxwell was a native of Pennsylvania, having been born in that State in 1841. As a young man he went to Iowa, where he engaged in the hardware business, which he followed up to within a year of the time of his death. Coming to Oakland eighteen years ago he engaged in the same business, meeting with good success. A little over a year ago his health began failing and he decided to retire from business, which he did. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, September 20, 1900]

Andrew McCallen
A Tribute to Andrew McCallen
The Lakeview Examiner contained the following sketch of the late Andrew McCallen, who formerly lived there and who died recently at Oakland, California:
After a lingering illness, due to an attack of bronchitis, Andrew McCallen, a former pioneer resident of Lake county, died last Saturday at his home in Berkeley, California. Death came just after he had finished breakfast at about nine o'clock in the morning. The deceased seemed in the best of spirits at the table and freely discussed various local happenings. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at two o'clock, the remains being cremated. Andrew McCallen was born in Elizabethtown, Illinois, September fifteenth, 1848, being at the time of death sixty-five years, three months and twelve days of age.
His paternal grandfather, Hayes McCallen, was born and bred in Scotland. His father, Andy McCallen Senior, was a native of Indiana and after being admitted to the bar settled in Shawneetown, Illinois, where he continued the practice of his profession and filled important public positions, being associated in important legal cases with Abraham Lincoln. Obtaining his early education in the public schools of Shawneetown, Andrew McCallen Junior began learning the drug business when sixteen years old. He subsequently entered Bryant and Stratton's Business College in Chicago, and after his graduation was employed as bookkeeper for a Chicago manufacturing firm. Returning then to Shawneetown, Mr. McCallen opened a drug store, which he carried on until the spring of 1875. Disposing of his stock at that time he came to Modoc county, California, where he was employed as clerk and bookkeeper for eighteen months. In the fall of 1876 when Lakeview was in its infancy he came here as manager of the merchandise store belonging to A. and C. U. Snider, a position that he retained eleven years. In the meantime he made wise investments, becoming a large land owner and a man of prominence.
In 1887, in company with C. A. Cogswell and others, he organized the Lakeview Bank, which is now conducted as the Bank of Lakeview. P. G. Chrisman was made president of the institution, W. B. Whitemore vice-president and Mr. McCallen cashier. The bank was sold in 1898 and two years following he removed to Ashland, where in 1901 he assisted in organizing the First National Bank of Ashland, which was opened with Mr. McCallen as cashier, he later being made president of the bank, which office he held until the time of his death. While living in Modoc county Mr. McCallen in 1879 was married to Miss Josephine Applegate, to which union six children were born, five of whom with their mother survive his death. As a business man Andrew McCallen had been fortunate and acquired a large amount of valuable real estate, being the owner of several farms in this county as well as city property in Lakeview. In 1904 he helped to organize the First National Bank of Lakeview, being at the time a director and stockholder in the bank. He yet retained his interest as stockholder in the institution. Politically he was an active member of the democratic party, having filled offices of trust and responsibility. In the fall of 1878, when the county seat was removed from Linkville to Lakeview, Mr. McCallen was appointed county treasurer, and served for eighteen consecutive years. For one year he served as councilman of this city, and for one term filled the mayor's chair. Fraternally he was a member of Lakeview Lodge No. 63. I.O.O.F., later being transferred to the Ashland lodge. He was also a charter member of Lakeview Encampment No. 18.
The death of Andrew McCallen removes another of the commanding figures which during his career had always been conspicuous and at times dominating in the public affairs of the entire southern portion of this state, and the news of his death will carry a severe shock to his multitude of friends and acquaintances. [Ashland Tidings (Ashland, Or) 19 Jan 1914, p4]

(Video) Kids Shame Abusive Mom With Scathing Obituary

George McCulley
George McCulley, a well known and highly respected young man, son of Mr. and Mrs. Matt McCulley, died at the home of his parents, four miles north of Lakeview, last Saturday afternoon of pneumonia, aged about 25 years. The young man had only been ill a few days, and had a premonition that death was near at hand, as he remarked to his relatives when taken ill that he would not live. The funeral occurred on Monday at 10 a.m., and a large number of friends and acquaintances followed the remains to the last resting place. Chas. E. Moore made a few remarks at the grace. The floral offerings were profuse. Later on it is the intention to have a sermon preached by the Methodist minister, in memory of the deceased young man.[Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, October 4, 1900]

William Morley
Passing of Wm. S. Morley, After a Brief Illness -- A Distressing Occurrence – Wife and Child are Dangerously Ill with Fever.
Few people in Lakeview were aware that W. S. Morley was seriously ill until the word was passed from mouth to mouth last Monday morning that he was dead. And few there were, if any, who knew him in life that were not impressed with a feeling of sadness upon learning of his death. This is the second death within a month that has been attended with particularly sorrowful details. The Morley home is truly one of sadness and mourning to-day. The wife and little son of deceased are each reclining upon a bed of serous, if not dangerous illness, and when the cold hand of death was laid upon the brow of husband and father the faithful physician and attendants feared to convey the sad intelligence to the wife, lest the shock might overcome her in her weakened condition. Soon, however, she had to learn the truth, and when it was gently whispered to her, the silent, tearless sorrow, the paled, blanched face, gave unmistakable evidence of inward suffering and deep anguish.
Deceased had been ill for a few weeks preceding his death. He was compelled to go to bed after several nights of watching by the bedside of his wife and son. The best medical aid was given him, but the ravages of fever and other ailments proved too much for human skill, and he passed away quickly after an hour's apparent surcease from pain, during which time he conversed with attendants and seemed better. Death came at 7:45 o'clock a.m. on Monday, September 24th.
William Seward Morley was born in Iowa, August 28, 1863. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Morley, who moved from Iowa to Oak Run, Shasta county, California, in 1874. Deceased arrived in Lakeview from his Shasta home twenty years ago, but did not then make his home here. He came here to live five years ago. He leaves a wife and two young children in Lakeview, mother, father and two sisters in Shasta county, Cal., and a large circle of friends to mourn his death. Everybody who knew Will Morley like him, and passing acquaintances had kind regard for him. He was a trusted employe [sic] of the Frankl Company in Lakeview for about three years, and at the time of his death held the position of Stock Inspector of Lake county. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, September 27, 1900]
--- The funeral of William S. Morley took place from the family residence in Lakeview Tuesday at 2 p.m. under the direction of I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 63, of which he was a worthy member. Services were held at the grave in the presence of a large assemblage of sympathizing friends.[Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, September 27, 1900]

Edward Myers
Edward Myers, aged 23 years, brother of Rev. L. A. Myers of Lakeview, died at New Pine Creek of typhoid fever last Sunday morning at 6 o'clock. Deceased was born and reared at New Pine Creek, and was an exemplary young man. He was married early in the fall of 1899 to Miss Argivia Teters. The sorrowing wife is also very ill and the shock of her husband's death has almost taken her life. The funeral occurred last Monday from the Baptist church at New Pine Creek and was largely attended. Rev. C. W. Holloman officiated at church and grave. [Source: Lake County. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, October 18, 1900]

George Pane
George Pane the 43nd victim of the Silver Lake holocaust, died February 25. His body, with the [?]-nates was placed near the center of the cemetery there and a monument will be erected to their memory. All the others who were injured have recovered except Clara Smelling and Mrs. T. J. Labrie, who are improving slowly. [Source: The Capital Journal (Salem, OR) – Thursday, March 7, 1895]

W. D. Peachy
The Lake County Examiner says: W. D. Peachy left Lakeview about the 20th of February, in company with Mr. Gibson for Prineville, Wasco county, in search of a place to locate. In crossing the desert they suffered greatly from the cold weather, and the snow being deep, they had frequently to get out of their wagon and break a trail for the worn-out horses. They arrived at Prineville on Saturday, February 28th, and on the following Tuesday, Mr. Peachy was taken ill from the effects of the overwork and hardships of the trip and died March 2d. [Source: Grant County News (Canyon City, OR) – Saturday, April 3, 1880]

William Penland
The death of William Henry Penland in Lakeview, last Saturday, was a particularly sad one, and public sympathy goes out to the bereaved wife, fatherless children and disconsolate father of the deceased. Henry Penland was born in Shasta county, Cal., and at the time of his death, September 1, 1900, his age was 33 years, 11 months and 22 days. George H. Penland, an old citizen of Lake county, was father of the deceased, and, upon being advised of the death of his son, arranged to come here to attend the last sad rites.. When a short distance from his home in Cedarville, he, too, being in ill health suddenly collapsed, and had to be returned to his home for medical treatment. At the time of the death the wife and little girl were lying dangerously ill in another room, and are still under the close attention of the physician, as is also a little son who has since been taken down with fever. Since his boyhood, the deceased was a sufferer from a disease similar to epilepsy and very frequently without warning he would fall suddenly to the ground in a fit, from which he would emerge in a weak and emaciated condition.
Deceased had only been ill a few days when death relived him of his sufferings. He complained of rheumatic pains, and it was not known until too late that the deadly fever was consuming him. He leaves a wife and three children, a father, a brother and numerous other relatives to mourn his death. The funeral took place from the M. E. Church on the 4th inst. Rev. Warfield officiated. The floral offerings were profuse. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, September 6, 1900]

Murder at Lakeview - Al Sherfen, a barkeeper at a brewery at Lakeview, Oregon, shot and killed a man named Pope on the 21st instant. Pope came into the brewery and used insulting language to Sherfen who was behind the bar. He was told by Sherfen not to repeat the language, but Pope having done so, Herfen came from behind the bar and was slapped in the face by Pope. Sherfen immediately drew a 44 calibre english bull dog pistol and fired, the ball passing through Pope's heart, killing him instantly. Sherfen was arrested and placed in jail. [Source: Daily Nevada State Journal (Reno, NV) - Sunday, July 31, 1887; Contributed by S. Williams]

John Sailor
The Medford Mail reports the death at that place, by heart disease, of John Sailor, an aged man who has been stopping in Medford since last fall. Death occurred on September 8th. Deceased was without means, but two kind friends Thos. Collins and W. J. King, of Medford, gave him a Christian burial. John Sailor was a bachelor 67 years of age and a native of Clay county, Mo. He was an old resident of Silver Lake, this county, having lived there 23 years. He was an unassuming, honest and kind-hearted man, and all who knew him well will regret his death. It is stated that one of his generous acts (at a time when he was in better circumstances) was the contribution of $500 to the sufferers at Silver Lake at the time of the terrible fire on Christmas Eve, 1894. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, September 20, 1900]

Kathleen Sherlock
The sweet little infant, Kathleen E., daughter of W. A. and Anna Sherlock, died Wednesday morning at 5 o'clock, aged 11 months and 16 days. Little Kathleen was a beautiful child and is deeply mourned by parents and friends. The funeral will occur to-day (Thursday) at 2:30 p.m. from the M. E. Church. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, August 30, 1900]
--- Under Banks of Flowers: The funeral of little Kathleen, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Sherlock, was held from the M. E. Church last Thursday, and was attended by many relatives and friends of the family. Six little girls dressed in white carried the tiny white casket, and the grave was strewn with banks of flowers. The interior of the grave was lined with white cloth, and the burial ceremonies were very pretty. Death, and the hereafter, is awful to contemplate, but in this case the heartaches of the fond parents are assuaged by the knowledge that this loved one is in a better world. [Source: Thursday, September 6, 1900 - Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

Tom Shipley
Tom Shipley (colored), who was at one time employed in training horses for W. H. Bybee, was drowned in Goose Lake, Southern Oregon, one day last week by the upsetting of a boat. Two other persons were in the boat at the time of its capsizing, but they escaped. [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) – Saturday, August 23, 1879]

Edward Snyder
Another Pioneer Taken Off List - Edward A. Snyder Peacefully Dies at Ripe Age of 74
On Friday, February 16, 1912, Edward A. Snyder at the age of 74 years, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Arzner, in Lakeview.
Death was due to heart failure. Mr. Snyder had been enjoying comparatively good health up until a short time before his death, he having recently come over from Fort Bidwell to visit with relatives in Lakeview. Deceased was born January 13, 1858 in Howard county, Indiana and moved when a small boy to Missouri, and later moving in the spring of 1881 to Stockton, Calf. From Stockton he came to Oregon in the fall of 1883 and moved to Davis Creek in the Goose Lake Valley in 1886 where he resided for three years, after which he moved to Lakeview and had made this his home ever since. In the year of 1879 Mr. Snyder was wedded to Miss Mandy J. Deacon in Buchanan county, Mo., who it will be remembered died here there [three] years ago.
To the happy union were born six children five of whom survive him, as well as one sister living in Buchanan County, Mo. Fred H., of Fort Bidwell, Calif.; Mrs. Maggie Follett, of Los Angeles, Calif.; Wade. of Fort Bidwell, Calif.; Bert of Oroville, Calif.; and Mrs. Addie Arzner, of this place. He also has living ten grand children, Mrs. S. J. McKee, Bert and Lura Snyder, Emma and Mabel Arzner, and Paulina Chandler, all of Lakeview; Freddie, Annie and Gladys Snyder, of Ft. Bidwell.
Mr. Snyder was a true christian and was a member of the Baptist church for many years. He was a man of moral character, scroulously honest and upright in all his dealings, a true friend, a values neighbor and an individual father and husband. The funeral services were conducted Sunday from the Baptist church, Rev. H. Smith officiating, and the remains taken to the I.O.O.F. cemetery where they were tenderly laid in their last resting place. [Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeville, OR) - Friday, February 22, 1912]

Edward Steele
Edward O. Steele, School Superintendent of Lake County, who died at Lakeview a few days ago, was a son of Hon. E. Steele of Yreka. [Source: The Oregon Sentinel (Jacksonville, OR) - Wednesday, November 6, 1878]

George W. Sublette
George W. Sublette, father of S. R. Sublette of Lakeview, died Jan. 12, 1901, at De Soto, Missouri. Deceased was born in Richmond, Va., Jan. 13, 1826. He was an extensive traveler, and was the father of six children. He was a consistent Christian for over 50 years, and he met death bravely. [Thursday, January 31, 1901 - Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

(Video) Funeral Web Sites Report Card | No. 1 - Online Obituaries

John Stow
Fatal Accident - The Jacksonville Times says: John Stow, formerly of Butte Creek, was recently killed on Lost River, Lake county, by a kick from a fractious mule. The blow took effect in his breast, and was of such force as to kill him instantly. Several persons were standing near by, but he died before they could reach him. [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) - Saturday, March 30, 1878]

John Teters
At New Pine Creek, Oregon, Nov. 17, 1900, death visited the home of John Reid, and claimed for its victim John Teters, a young man who was well respected and held in high esteem. Deceased was a brother of Mrs. John Reid and his age was about 21 years. The young man had been in ill health for a long time, but recently typhoid fever attacked him and his frail constitution could not withstand the ravages of that disease, to which he succumbed on Saturday evening last. The funeral occurred at New Pine Creek on Sunday.[Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, November 22, 1900]

W. S. Thompson
Last Sunday a mob surrounded the jail at Lakeview, Oregon, took out a prisoner named W.S. Thompson and lynched him on the court house steps. Thompson was a resident of Warner Valley and had an unsavory reputation, having been accused of causing the death of his wife and child. [Source: Daily Nevada State Journal (Reno, NV) - Thursday, August 23, 1894; Contributed by S. Williams]

Nis Tonningsen
N. P. Tonningsen Dies Suddenly -- No Particulars of the Sad Event Received
The relatives of N. P. Tonningsen in Lakeview were bowed down in grief and sorrow last Tuesday morning when the following news came by wire to Judge Charles Tonningsen: "San Franscico, Sept. 18 – Peter died this morning. Break the news gently to father and mother"

John Tonningsen
On September 3d, deceased left Lakeview en route to San Francisco on a business and pleasure trip combined. He was the picture of robust health and manly vigor, and looked forward to his trip with much pleasure, intending to be absent several weeks. While J. S. Field was in San Francisco last week he met Mr. Tonningsen and was with him several hours. At that time he was in perfect health and apparently full of enjoyment. A letter from J. Frankl to George H. Ayres tells of the writer meeting Mr. Tonningsen on Market street a few days ago.
On account of this the news of "Pete" Tonningsen's death came as a terrible surprise to relatives and business associates. The relatives immediately wired to San Francisco for further particulars.
Although the telegraph was used persistently Tuesday no further particulars of the sad affair could be learned. The remains will be interred in San Francisco.
Deceased, Nis Peter Tonningsen, was a native of Germany, aged 44 years. He came to the Pacific Coast in 1874, and located temporarily at Wheatland, Yolo county, Cal. In the Fall of 1874 he moved to Ft. Bidwell, Modoc county, and four years ago came to Lakeview, where he engaged in business, purchasing the Lakeview Brewery enterprise with George H. Ayres. About a year ago deceased engaged in the sheep business and was prospering. It was his intention to rebuild in the spring the Lakeview Brewery, which was destroyed in the fire of May 22d. He was a man of good business qualification, and had numerous friends who will regret to lean of his death. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, September 20, 1900]
--- Died From Heart Failure: A later telegram in answer to the inquiry of anxious relatives, regarding the death of N. P. Tonningsen, was received yesterday, and states that deceased suffered an attack of heart failure on Sunday last, and lingered until Tuesday morning. The best physicians and nurses in the city attended him, but were unable to save his life. He died peacefully and without pain. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, September 20, 1900]

Anna Treudt
Mrs. Phil Treudt, formerly Miss Anna Goodman, who was a teacher in the Lakeview schools a number of years ago and also a niece of our townsman, T. H. Cloud died suddenly last week at her home at Fort Bidwell, leaving to mourn her loss a husband and an infant baby. She was born in Lake County, Oregon September 16th, 1878. [Thursday, June 18, 1914; Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR)]

Jezreel Venator
The party which left Lakeview, says the Examiner, in search of J. Venator, found his body about six miles from where the last party lost his trail. The spot is about sixteen miles form Albert Lake and about three miles from South Alkali Lake, the nearest available drinking water being about sixteen miles from where he sank for his last rest. His body was first discovered by one of the Indians with the party. He had apparently died very tranquilly. One of his boots was off and placed under his head to answer for a pillow. It was the opinion of those who saw the body that he must have been dead two weeks. His remains were decently interred and a verified statement of the facts placed in the hands of the proper authorities. J. Venata was 84 years old, a native of the United States, and leaves a wife and eight children. He had the respect and confidence of his neighbors, and the love and affection of his family whom he leaves comfortably provided for. [Source: Grant County News (Canyon City, OR) – Saturday, September 25, 1880]

Ben Warner
Fell To his Death From A Scaffold -- Ben Warner, Wealthy Resident of New Pine Creek, Fatally Hurt Last Saturday
Last Saturday afternoon, while painting the outside of his store building at New Pine Creek, Ben Warner fell from a scaffolding to the ground, a distance of about thirteen feet, striking on the back of his head and injuring his spine in such a manner as to cause paralysis, which resulted in his death on Monday morning at 4 o'clock. When picked up the injured man was found unconscious, but soon revived and conversed with those about him in a commonplace manner for a short time, when he passed into a comatose state, in which condition he remained until death came. He remarked while conscious that he could not remember how it happened, but knew his neck was broken. In the fall his right arm was fractured.
Ben Warner was a peculiar man in many respects – eccentric in the extreme. But in all his dealings he was recognized as an honest, conscientious man. He was a resident of Northern California and Southeastern Oregon for many years.
Early last spring deceased went to San Francisco, and while there the report came to his home and to Lakeview that he had passed away in that city. He returned soon after to deny the story as a base fabrication. He scarcely ever wrote a letter to a friend – in fact he was loth to look upon any human being as a true friend, and was not a believer in Friendship in the true sense of the word. But, withal, there were men who knew that in Ben Warner's heart there were warm spots which belied the outward coldness of the man.
He was a non-believer in God, and was a follower of the doctrines of Ingersoll. He would have nothing to do with the Church or religion. He loved the educational institutions of the country and was a firm upholder of the public schools. He was heard to remark not long ago that when he died his money would be left to the cause of education. It is unknown at this writing whether or not deceased left a will, but it is presumed he did. Recently he disposed of his merchandise business at New Pine Creek to Messrs. Lemon & Hartzog. His stock invoiced about $5,000; he also owned a good ranch, and had money in bank. It is estimated that he was worth $15,000 and indebted to no man. He was often heard to remark that he knew of no relative living.
Deceased was aged about 72 years. The funeral was held at New Pine Creek Tuesday at 10 a.m. and a large concourse of friends were in attendance. [Source: Lake Co. Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, October 11, 1900]

Charles Welker
Charles J. Welker, who was shot recently on the Lake county sheep range by W. J. Sherlock, as a result of a difficulty or dispute about the range, died at Silver Lake on the 29th. He was aged 34 years. [Source: The Capital Journal (Salem, OR) – Saturday, November 7, 1896]

Isabel Whorton
Died – Isabel M. Whorton (nee Isabel M. George), born in Siskiyou County, California, May 22, 1865; died in Lakeview, Oregon, December 8, 1900. (Yreka, Cal., and Eugene and Cottage Grove, Ore., papers please copy)
--- --- ---
The old church bell in the belfry tolled again last Sunday. Its mournful notes told the sad tale over again – said in the dumb language that another loved done had crossed the dark river that separates life and eternity. And then the funeral cortege slowly moved from the door of a sorrowful and blighted home to halt at the church steps, thence to the city of the dead, there to deposit beneath "the low green tent" the cold, dead form of a beloved wife and mother. Dust thou art to dust returneth.
It was not unexpected; it was no surprise, when on Saturday morning last at 8 o'clock the announcement was made that Belle Whorton was dead. Her friends had expected to hear the sad words at any moment, and were prepared. Conscious to the last, and, fully aware that she was about to be summoned to solve the mysteries of death, she said a few parting words to the dear ones about her, and then went to sleep – the eternal sleep "that knows no waking." At the church the good man whose duty called him to say the last few words for the departing spirit and a prayer for the salvation of the soul, feelingly referred to her last hours of life – joyful hours to her in which she had found Christ, and seemingly died in happiness.
Isabel M. Whorton was the beloved wife of Manly Whorton, sister of John O. George and mother of Georgie Whorton of Lakeview. Besides these relatives she has brothers, Carlton, Frank and Al. George; sisters Mrs. Rose Pool, Mrs. Sabra Wise of Siskiyou county, Cal., and Mrs. Lottie Reed of San Francisco. And, amidst the pines of Siskiyou, an aged, gray-haired mother weeps in sorrow over her lost darling – weeps with the heartburns and sorrow that only a mother can feel.
Deceased came to Lakeview from Siskiyou county in 1885. On October 30, 1889, she became the wife of Manly Whorton. From this union there were two children, one little son who has "gone before," and the remains of the mother were buried by the side of her child. Rev. C. W. Raymond of the Methodist Church officiated at the funeral and delivered a most impressive sermon on "Death." His text was appropriate. He told of the three classes of death which come to human beings – the horrible death of the blasphemer who cursed God in life and wait until his dying moments before seeking salvation; the death of the one who lived a moral life, but, owing to circumstances surrounding that life, was not induced to seek God until the last hour – the "deathbed repentance;" and the death on the Cross at Calvary. The minister said many tender things regarding the life of Belle Whorton, and many in that crowded church were moved to tears.
She was a good woman, and, while death removes her from this sphere, she leaves behind numerous friends who will drop silent tears in memory of one they loved in life. The husband and little son, the mother, the brothers and sisters, and, lastly, the venerable father-in-law and mother-in-law, who loved her as their own child, have the deep sympathy of the community.[Source: Lake County Examiner (Lakeview, OR) - Thursday, December 13, 1900]

William Williams
William W. Williams, for a long time a resident of this place, but lately of Alturas, Cal., and Lakeview, Oregon, died at the latter place on May 27th after a lingering illness. He leaves a wife and family here to mourn his loss. [Source: The Oregon Sentinel (Jacksonville, OR) - Saturday, June 11, 1881]

Died,At Summer Lake, Lake county, Oregon, Nov. 29, 1883, a young Mr. Wotten, formerly of Lane county, but late of Paisley. – Lakeview Examiner. [Source: The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR) Saturday, December 15, 1883]


1. I visited the Yellowstone Zone of Death
(Tom Scott)
2. Girl visits the doctor he calls the cops after seeing the ultrasound
(Viral Story)
3. How to find your ancestors social secuirity, cemetery records, and obituaries for free
4. Scientists Put a Camera in a Coffin for Research Purposes. When They Turned it on, They Screamed!
5. 10 Live TV Tragedies
6. Inspectors find 110 violations at China Buffet
(WPLG Local 10)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Merrill Bechtelar CPA

Last Updated: 21/08/2023

Views: 5616

Rating: 5 / 5 (50 voted)

Reviews: 89% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Merrill Bechtelar CPA

Birthday: 1996-05-19

Address: Apt. 114 873 White Lodge, Libbyfurt, CA 93006

Phone: +5983010455207

Job: Legacy Representative

Hobby: Blacksmithing, Urban exploration, Sudoku, Slacklining, Creative writing, Community, Letterboxing

Introduction: My name is Merrill Bechtelar CPA, I am a clean, agreeable, glorious, magnificent, witty, enchanting, comfortable person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.